Career Paths in Academia and Industry
For personalized, one-on-one advice on how to leverage your PhD for a fulfilling career, schedule an appointment with a GECD counselor. To connect with the right people and information, see our calendar for panel talks, workshops and networking events.
For email alerts about graduate career opportunities, events, and resources, join the Graduate Career News listserv.
PhD Career Tools
Luckily, you’re no stranger to research. The following resources will help you explore different PhD career paths and find opportunities.
Our annual “Earned Doctoral Degree Survey” tracks the plans of MIT doctorates after graduation in both industry and academia. Data includes how graduates found jobs, top industries and companies, employers by department, and salaries.
MyIDP (or Individual Development Plan) is a free tool for science PhDs to explore career possibilities and find the career path that fits you best. Work with a GECD career counselor to review your results and develop a plan. Features include:
- Exercises to help you examine your skills, interests, and values
- A list of 20 scientific career paths with a prediction of which ones best fit your skills and interests
- A tool for setting strategic goals for the coming year, with optional reminders to keep you on track
- Articles, guides and other resources
- Related videos to the IDP and career planning.
ImaginePhD is a free tool for humanities and social sciences PhDs to explore career possibilities and find the career path that fits you best. Work with a GECD career counselor to review your results and develop a plan. On ImaginePhD you will be able to:
- Assess your career-related skills, interests, and values
- Explore career paths appropriate to your discipline
- Create self-defined goals
- Map out the next steps for your career
Developed by experts from over 50 universities, ImaginePhD offers a unique platform that teaches PhDs about popular job sectors, search strategies, and how to transfer skills across settings.
Versatile PhD (MIT log in required)
Versatile PhD is an online community dedicated to non-academic and non-faculty careers for PhDs. Research career paths, find job opportunities and network with other PhDs. For access to this and other resources we offer only for the MIT community, you'll have to login to our site using Touchstone.
Reach out to alumni for informational interviews using MIT’s alumni directory. Search for alumni by company, course, year of graduation, and more. You can also network and research using LinkedIn. Quintessential Careers also offers more resources about informational interviews.