Freshmen/Alumni Summer Internship Program (F/ASIP)
Build the skills you’ll need to land internships and succeed in your career. Get connected with alumni and find mentors. Join the growing F/ASIP network.
What is F/ASIP?
The Freshmen/Alumni Summer Internship Program (F/ASIP) is a nine month program starting in January of your freshman year. F/ASIP is a series of classes and networking opportunities aimed at helping you identify the kind of work that matches your skills and interests, find and secure internships, network with F/ASIP and MIT alumni, and lay a groundwork for career success.
F/ASIP doesn’t place students in internships – we teach you how to get them yourself. Most participants have an internship, UROP or MISTI experience the summer after their first year at MIT. In the summer we connect you with an industry mentor within your field of interest. Even without an internship, this class teaches skills and builds connections that will benefit you for your entire career.
What are the advantages of participating in F/ASIP?
Exclusive access to:
- Freshmen only job postings
- Mock interviews with employers
- Weekly newsletter with freshmen summer opportunities and events
- MIT alumni panels and presentations
- Peer mentors and MIT alumni mentors
What skills will I learn?
- Career first steps like self-assessment, industry and company research, and developing a career plan
- How to write an effective resume and cover letter
- How to create a LinkedIn profile and use LinkedIn tools
- Interviewing and negotiation
- Professional etiquette and communication
- Networking and informational interviewing
What’s the time commitment?
The first part of F/ASIP is SP.800 (3 credits) and runs during the month of January and through the early part of the spring semester. SP.800 consists of online webinars, a full day symposium at the end of January, spring semester classes, peer mentor meetings and assignments.
We run two full day symposiums in January, but you only need to attend one. If you have a conflict, you can come to morning of one day and the afternoon of another.
The second part of F/ASIP, SP.801 (3 credits), prepares students for the Fall Career Fair and launching into their sophomore year internship search. SP.801 consists of an online webinar, virtual hangouts, homework assignments and a presentation on your summer experience.
Register for the first part of F/ASIP (SP.800) in December by the deadlines posted on the MIT Calendar. It is added to your Spring class load and counts as three units toward your 57 unit limit. Listener status is available if needed.
In addition, you’ll need to complete the following prerequisites:
- Watch our online Resume and Cover Letter Workshops
- Draft a cover letter and resume and have each reviewed by us during drop-in hours, preferably prior to registration. Try tailoring these documents to an actual internship, UROP, MISTI, or other opportunity you are considering applying for this summer.
- Upload your revised resume to your CareerBridge account, preferably before the first F/ASIP webinar in early January.
How can I learn more?
To learn more, check for a F/ASIP Info Session on our event calendar or email a F/ASIP adviser.