Apply to Graduate School
Medical and Health Profession Schools / Prepare to Apply / Request a Prehealth Advisory Board Letter
The Prehealth Advisory Board is comprised of the Prehealth Advising staff in Global Education & Career Development (GECD) and MIT faculty. The role of the Prehealth Advisory Board is to compose the official MIT Prehealth Advisory Board Letter which accompanies students/alums application to a health profession school.
Prehealth Advisory Board Letters are based on the following:
- Academic performance (transcripts and exam scores)
- Extracurricular involvement, community service, and volunteer work.
- Exploration of medicine, dentistry or other desired health profession career.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Communication with his or her assigned member of the MIT Prehealth Advisory Board.
The Prehealth Advisory Board Letter is not a composite letter (a letter that compiles information from all letters and is sent on its own to a given school or program). All of your letters of recommendation including your MIT Prehealth Advisory Board Letter are sent on your behalf to the schools you select.
Prehealth Advisory Board Letters are sent to designated application services and/or schools by the end of August or sooner, for individuals whose letters and all other required application materials are submitted via the Prehealth Credential Service by May 10. Applicants whose application materials and/or letters are received after May 10 may risk having their Prehealth Advisory Board Letter of Recommendation sent later than the end of August.
Current undergraduate students, graduate students with MIT undergraduate degrees, and alumni with an undergraduate degree from MIT who intend to apply for fall 2015 entry to medical/health profession school may request a Prehealth Advisory Board Letter. Please note the following:
- Applicants should only request a Prehealth Advisory Board Letter if they intend to apply for 2015 entry to medical/health profession school. (Requesting a Prehealth Advisory Board Letter is the first step of the application process and should be taken very seriously. If you are questioning whether to apply for fall 2015 entry to medical/health profession school please consult with Prehealth Advising before submitting your Prehealth Advisory Board Letter request.)
- A Prehealth Registration Meeting is a prerequisite to requesting a Prehealth Advisory Board Letter. The last day to complete a 2015 Prehealth Registration Meeting is November 1, 2013.
- The period to request a 2015 Prehealth Advisory Board Letter is November 1, 2013-December 1, 2013. All steps listed below must be completed by December 1, 2013 or your Prehealth Advisory Board Letter request will not be complete. No exceptions will be made.
How to request a 2015 Prehealth Advisory Board Letter between November 1, 2013-December 1, 2013:
- Only after you have completed a Prehealth Registration Meeting, submit the Prehealth Advisory Board Letter Request Form no later than 5:00 p.m. on December 1, 2013. The Prehealth Advisory Board Letter Request Form will be posted here on November 1, 2013.
- You will be required to submit the non-refundable, annual Prehealth Credential Service Fee, which is $100, at the time you submit your request.