Improve Your Spanish… In Spain!
If you find it difficult to fit language classes into your regular class schedule, IAP Madrid is a way to boost your Spanish. You can take classes and put into practice what you have learned in Spain.
If you are an MIT student in good academic standing with Spanish I (or a faculty evaluation of your ability to read, write, and speak Spanish), you are eligible for the program.
At a Glance
- Spend January in Madrid.
- Take Spanish II with an MIT instructor.
- Get MIT credit for this class. (You don’t have to worry about transfer credit.)
- Classes are usually about three hours per day.
- Spend the rest of the day and weekends exploring Madrid and the surrounding areas.
- Stay with a local family. They will provide your breakfast and dinner.
The program fee varies each year based on exchange rate, housing costs, room type (single or double), etc. Recently the program fee has been about $1,600. Airfare is not included.
The program fee is based on the number of participants and may change before the start of the program.
The fee includes:
- Single-room or double-room housing in a Spanish home
- Breakfast and dinner daily
- Laundry service
- Use of classroom, internet and library at Instituto International de Madrid
You should bring some money for transportation, lunches, textbooks, and personal expenses. We estimate the total you should expect to spend to be around $3,200 (program fee, plus additional expenses mentioned here).
Financial aid does not currently cover IAP programs like IAP Madrid. However you can apply for scholarships through MIT.
Final payment due
Arrive in Madrid early January. Leave Madrid in late January/early February
Complete our online application in Horizons.
Have a faculty member in Spanish evaluate your Spanish language ability if you have not completed Spanish 1 at MIT.
U.S. citizens will not need to apply for a student visa for this program. Citizens of other countries should visit the Spanish consulate website to find out whether you are required to obtain a visa and how to secure a Schengen visa to study in Spain.